chelscatterall

Chels & a Book

The Goddess Test

The Goddess Test - Aimee Carter To begin, I must admit that I am partial to adaptations of Greek Myths. I grabbed a hold of Abandon by Meg Cabot the first moment I saw it, and was a bit disappointed with the looseness with which it followed the traditional myth. When Aimee Carter’s The Goddess Test was released, I spent a while debating if I wanted to take my chances on the same myth again — Hades and Persephone. However, thanks to the amazing and passionate women at Harlequin, I was given a free copy during their presentation at Humber last month. I am happy to say that Carter surprised me!The Goddess Test stuck to the mythical aspect in tremendous ways. Though I was a bit disappointed with some of the characters and the predictability of certain plot aspects, I enjoyed the constant presence of mythology! I made the amateur move of flipping through the pages and finding the list of gods at the back of the book. Note to prospective readers: Do Not Do This! A lot of the plot was given away by this rookie mistake.Kate’s life in Eden Manor was very interesting. I got an almost Beauty and the Beast feel from the descriptions of the Manor, her room, the architecture — and I loved that! I also enjoyed her relationship with Henry and the realistic presence of lingering first love. Not many young adult books I have read tackle this idea so directly and I appreciated Carter’s acknowledgement of it. My only major complaint about the narrative was that I got quite frustrated with Kate’s constant self deprecation. Her reminders to herself that everything is her fault becomes daunting and I wanted to give her a friendly tap on the head and tell her to move on.All in all, The Goddess Test was a pleasant read (and kept me company during a long layover in the bus station)!