chelscatterall

Chels & a Book

Fury (Fury (Hardcover - Trilogy))

Fury - Elizabeth  Miles Fury is a perfect example of why I both love and hate Goodreads. Goodreads is undoubtedly the site I visit most during the day. I love to see what everyone else is reading, what they think of it, and get recommendations for myself along the way. Since interning with S&S, I have also taken up checking on our books to see what the general consensus seems to be. BUT Goodreads does give away a few things before the actual read.Like for example, a review told me that the second half of the book is action packed, while the first half leaves you wondering where the story is going to go. Since I was still IN the first half when I read this, it both gave me a kick to get to the action but also kind of ruined it for me. Grr.I had the pleasure of meeting Elizabeth Miles when she came to Toronto for a GTA event with Becca Fitzpatrick (author of Silence). During our lunch, I sat one person away from her and asked her questions and made comments whenever I could. She was absolutely lovely! And clearly excited about her debut! This got ME excited. I devoured the first half of Fury during two evenings in bed. Then, life happened and I had to put it down for a while so I could finish up a few important things. Earlier this week, I got back to it – finally! And whoever wrote that review was absolutely right. The second part of Fury was a roller-coaster that I just wanted to keep going!Em and Chase have both made mistakes. Big mistakes. Em’s secret relationship with her best friends boyfriend is both the most pleasurable and painful experience she has ever had. She doesn’t want to hurt anyone, but is drawn to Zach by forces she just can’t explain. Chase lives with regret, but for what, Miles makes you wait until the second half of the book to find out. When three beautiful girls start showing up in the most questionable places, Chase and Em know they are being followed.Honestly, the beginning of the book was very realistic. I loved Chase, and enjoyed reading about Em, mostly because they were faulted characters and therefore more relatable. Then the plot took a serious turn into the terrifying – and I LOVED it. I could not put Fury down. One particular event gave me an extreme shock and I almost couldn’t believe it had actually happened. It NEVER seems to happen in YA! Descriptions of the furies twisted smiles and breathy voices sent shivers down my spine. This book was extremely imaginative and although little parts picked at me a bit, the novel as a whole was extremely enjoyable. I cannot wait for the next book to come out!