chelscatterall

Chels & a Book

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Still a kid at heart, I took THE INVENTION OF HUGO CABRET home with me, expecting an adventure; and oh, what an adventure I found.Perhaps the perfect way to start this review is to give credit to the reason I wanted to read this book in the first place. A classmate from Humber, Cristina (now a published author!) wrote a review on this amazing book last November. The opening line to her review read: "I didn't read this book, I experienced it." It went on my to-read list immediately. Now that it sits, complete on my shelf, I must say that I agree in every way.Hugo's story is told in both words and illustrations by the very talented Brian Selznick. It tells the story of a twelve-year-old boy living within the walls of a Paris train station in 1930. After a multitude of tragic events, Hugo is stranded and left with his former Uncle's job of Timekeeper of the station; making sure all of the magnificent clocks in the station are working correctly. By lantern light in the evenings, Hugo works on a machine his father had brought home from the attic of the museum where he was employed. The machine is called an automaton and is a mechanical man who can write when wound-up. Hugo's imaginative father figures it to be the work of a magician. Determined to finish his father's creation, Hugo results to stealing bits of clockwork from a toy booth in the station. One day, when he is caught, Hugo's life takes an unexpected turn with the introduction of numerous new characters.This fantastical story would have been enough with just words, however, the presence of Selznick's magical drawings and with the included stills from the real-life work of Georges Méliès, this book became a masterpiece. This novel shines light on all the adventures we craved as children, and in most cases, still dream of now. You deserve to experience this book for yourself.