chelscatterall

Chels & a Book

The Poison Eaters: And Other Stories

The Poison Eaters: And Other Stories - Holly Black, Theo Black This collection of short stories is a testimonial to the prowess of Holly Black's writing. I have been wanting to read her work for a long time, but took my time getting to it. When I saw The Poison Eaters, I was intrigued by the thought that I could devour a short story on the subway to and from work. Since there is no way I could give a short review on all twelve stories, I just wanted to make a few comments on the stories I enjoyed the most.I read "The Coldest Girl in Coldtown" on the subway home from work the day I picked up this book and almost missed my stop. It was chilling and a perfect way to open readers to Black's work. Though she can write witty dialogue, her talent lies in the darkness of her writing. The story takes place in a time where, to some, being a vampire is as sexy and seductive as being a celebrity. When a friend's sister goes missing, narrator Matilda goes to great lengths to show her the true cruelty and darkness the lies within the gates of Coldtown, where the vampires live. Eerie, scary and addictive, Black definitely did a good job putting this story first!I found "The Dog King" to be one of the most exciting stories -- letting you piece together bits of the puzzle. In this specific kingdom, wolves are hunted as they are the cause of brutal human murders in the town. The king keeps a wolf as his pet, but this wolf spends its time watching the hands of aristocrats under long royal tables and begins to understand everyone secrets. His own secrets are slowly revealed throughout the story. Enthralling!Lastly, I loved "Paper Cuts Scissors", a story about a world where certain people can move characters in and out of books. I was delighted to see Anne of Green Gables come to life (my all time favourite character!). Justin, who is studying library sciences, is on the hunt to find one man he knows can help him release his girlfriend after she inserts herself into a large Russian novel during an argument. Just the concept that characters could come to life was fascinating! All of this to say that Holly Black has my attention, and I will be turning to her White Cat series VERY soon! (P.S. LOVE the creepiness of this cover -- a depiction of the three sisters in the title story, "The Poison Eaters".)