chelscatterall

Chels & a Book

Bossypants

Bossypants - Tina Fey As previously stated, on my first day on the job, I was lucky enough to get to take home a copy of the new paperback edition of Tina Fey's memoir, Bossypants. Before the book, I really liked Tina -- I watch 30 Rock, have always liked her on SNL, love her movies (Baby Mama is by far my favourite) and I find her to be just a genuine nice lady. Now, after reading her book, I REALLY like Tiny Fey. Here is why.Many celebrities go out of their way to make people think they are "just like everyone else" and that is not always the case. But reading Tina's book made it feel like you were sitting and listening to a friend talk. She requires no special attention; no need to be viewed as a high-end celebrity. She idolizes her father, drives eight hours to visit her husband's family at Christmastime and reminds herself that, while she is having anxiety bouts over whether or not to have a second child, people are out fighting in wars and she just needs to relax. Of course the book is filled with her signature hilarity and I probably read half of it out loud to my boyfriend while laughing to the point that I was incomprehensible, but it is also full of powerful insight. Tina clearly does not think she is a beauty queen and many parts of the book address how women feel about themselves (sometimes comically, sometimes not). She reveals the origin of the scar on her face and explains why, next to revealing how she got it, she does not both speaking about it. She speaks at length about women in the workplace and her own inner debate on whether she wanted to continue with a successful career or take time away for a second child. (Tina did in fact have a second child and spoke about the experience with David Letterman in this interview.)While Tina addressed all of the things people are obviously curious about (how her career began, working on 30 Rock and SNL, the Sarah Palin skits), she also just talks about life in general; what comes your way and what doesn't, decisions that have to be made, times where you feel down and out and times where you can't believe just how fortunate you are. She relishes in the simple parts of life and despite spending many years of her life in front of and behind a camera, still treats work as WORK. She writes about long days where the writing crew for 30 Rock would be in her living room until 3am. Though everyone associates TV with glamour, it is still very much an extremely demanding career path.I could probably go on and on about how much I enjoyed reading the book and about how much I respect Tina Fey, but you don't need to hear it from me. Everyone knows who she is. But I honestly think you should pick up this book -- to smile and laugh, to learn more about a fabulous woman, or even just to feel good about being a woman yourself.